Walking through historical Brasov

Walking through historical Brasov Walking through historical Brasov

Brasov was founded by the Teutonic Knights in 1211. According to the British Encyclopaedia, the city is mentioned for the first time under the name of Brasov in documents in 1251

The first (or "popular mill") paper mill in Romania was founded in Brasov. The event took place in 1546, 13 years after Johannes Honterus had set up a printing house in the city. However, the first paper mill in the present territory of Romania was founded in Sibiu in 1534 but at that time Sibiu was not a Romanian city.

After the catastrophic fire of April 21, 1689, the authorities banned wooden constructions. The present aspect of the city is largely due, at least in the old hearth of Brasov, to this prohibition.

Find a hotel in Brasov.

Between September 8, 1950 and December 24, 1960, the Stalin City was named after Joseph Stalin Vissarionovici and was the capital of the region with the same name.

White Tower

The semi-circular shape, with the extra-muros bastion, provided on all sides with holes for pitching and casting, has been entrusted by the City Council to maintenance and protection of tin association and brass association since 1678, remaining only in their care from then.

Turnul Alb
Turtnul Alb
Turtnul Alb

The creneted walls had inside the galleries access to the holes, as well as exposed surfaces.

According to some information, it was built in 1494, according to other sources, the construction date back to 1460. On the occasion of the great fire of 1689, the tower burned and was rebuilt in 1723.

Supply and access to the interior were provided by a mobile staircase.

Black Tower

It is one of the four observation towers of the fortress of Brasov, an independent fortification, located outside the walls.
It is 11 m high, and it was built in the fifteenth century, square-shaped, donjon type, provided with shooting mouths and sharp point.
On July 23, 1559, the tower burned in a fire caused by trasnet, the smoky color captured giving its name.
In July 1991, after heavy rain, the wall of the fortress collapses, the Black Tower was restored in 1995, when the current glass roof was installed.

Turnul Negru
Turnul Negru
Turnul Negru

The Alley Behind the Walls

The Alley "Behind the Walls" leads along the other fortified walls of Brasov Citadel and Romuri, an area that houses the two towers.

Here, too, you can look at the old buildings behind the walls, whose shape gives the impression of small, well-closed citadel. One can see a space between the outer wall and the first houses, a space delimited by other walls and smaller towers. Here's where the Butcher's Stall and the Strap Strap were once set up. behind all the walls there were these spaces, occupied by a guild, where they were operating. to the right is the premises of the Blacksmith's Bastion, transformed at the beginning of the 20th century in the State Archives. behind the tower, there are two holes drilled in the rock, representing the old ways of access to the fortress.

Aleea Dupa Ziduri
Aleea Dupa Ziduri

The Catherine Gate

The Catherine Gate was built to facilitate the access of the Scheians to Brasov, in the middle of the Weir Bastion and the Blacks, on the site of an old gate of the 14th or 15th century, destroyed by the flood of August 24, 1526, as well as after the Turkish invasions. This stretched from the current S-Corps of Transylvania University, where the gate mill was, beyond the current Schematic Gate. Being located at the end of the Catherine Street - which in turn took its name from the monastery of nuns that had been there - the gate was named Catherine.

In 1559 the tower of the gate was lifted, which is still visible today. On the three-storey square, the building has four turrets symbolizing Jus Gladies, a medieval privilege that gave the leaders of Brasov the right to apply the supreme punishment.

Poarta Ecaterina

The top of the Tower is painted in Renaissance style, and its architecture is unique in the world, making it a precious artistic gem. Documents mention that for each of the eight towers of the tower had been brought bombs from Prague. The Tower of the Gate - today a large part of the earth - suffered serious damage due to the earthquakes and fires of 1689 and 1738. Not meeting the requirements of the Romanian merchandise from Schei, the gate (except the tower) was demolished in 1827, a year later building up the present The Schei Gate.

The String Street

String Street was built as a shortcut for the firemen's intervention, between the streets of Poarta Schei and Cerbului in the fortress of Brasov.
Mentioned for the first time in documents from the 17th century, String Street ranks 3rd among the narrowest in Europe, with a length of 80 m and a width between 1.11 m and 1.35 m.

Strada Sforii
Strada Sforii
Strada Sforii

The Council Square

The Council Square was in the Middle Ages the place where Brasov organized fairs for both Saxon and Hungarian merchants as well as those coming from Romania. It reached the market via Vamii Street, and the goods were cleared by the street.

The House of the Council in the center of the market was the place where every merchant had to place his goods, and the city's officials ensured that these places were respected.

Piata Sfatului
Piata Sfatului
Piata Sfatului
Piata Sfatului

Among the buildings on the market we can mention the House of the Council, the Assumption Church, the House of the Merchants, the Filstich-Plecker House, the Muresenilor House, the Brasov Urban Civilization Museum. near the market is the Black Church.

In the Council Square sometime there was the Pope of Infamy, where witches were judged and public corporal punishments were committed to the guilty of various deeds.

The Black Church

The Black Church is one of the most representative monuments of Gothic architecture in Romania, dating back to the 14th-15th centuries. Having a length of over 89 meters is considered to be the largest church in Romania. Due to its size, when it was completed, it received the title of "The Greatest Church between Vienna and Constantinople".

The Black Church today rises on the site of an older Romanesque church of the 13th century, destroyed in the great Tatar invasion from 1241.

Biserica Neagra

The current construction started in 1383, when Brasov was in a period of strong cultural and economic development, being the most important commercial and industrial city on the border of Transylvania with the Romanian country. The invasion of the Turks in 1421 interrupted the construction of the church, and the city had to focus on the fortifications, but were later followed by a much simplified plan. Due to a massive earthquake in 1471, the southern tower was not built up to intentional height. Year 1477 can be considered the year of the construction of the church building, in 1499 a new organ is mentioned, and later works were made on the tower by which a clock and bells were added in 1514. The church, initially Roman -catolic has received the patron saint of St. Mary. In 1542 the first Evangelical-Lutheran ministry was celebrated in the Black Church, and during the same movement the secondary altars were removed. The Great Fire of April 21, 1689 also included the parish church, destroying the roof and interior furniture. Since then, the blackened black smoke has been called the Black Church.

Additional Info

  • Country: Romania
  • Region: Transylania

Newsletter Subscription

Be the first to know when we publish new articles.

Who visited us

This week219
This month8456

Who Is Online


27 October 2020