The fortification of Alba Iulia is the largest fortress in Romania, standing for more than 300 years. Fortress is the place where you can return over time, along the second millennium, among the vestiges of three fortifications, in so many different epochs. In other words, every fortress built here embraced the old one: the Roman Castles, the Medieval Fortress and the White Carolina Fortress.
The foundation stone of the fortress was laid on November 4, 1715. Generally speaking, it is believed that the year of completion of the works is 1738, although there have been different works in the years to come.
The fortress built in the heart of Transylvania proved to be the most imposing Baroque monument of the province. A peculiarity of the Fortress is given by the succession of the six gates, located on the east-west axis. In other words, on the "Gates of Fortress" Tourist Route, which connects the Civic Center and the Plateau Romanilor district, located in the western area of Alba Iulia.
The role of the Fortress was a military defense, given by the bastion system, the typology of the artillery pieces that it was endowed with, and the size of the troops inside it. The fortress was attacked only once in its military existence, but never conquered. The episode took place in 1849, when 8,000 Hungarian soldiers besieged it without success.